My next endeavor on the Skinnygirl bottled cocktail list was the White Cranberry Cosmo. I was completely apprehensive about this one because Cosmos can be quite sweet and I am not a fruity or sugary cocktail kind of person, despite being constantly mistaken for one. I will explain – Out at the bar with my boyfriend he will get the drink that is named something like the pink sparkle razzle jumping butterfly and I, a simple martini and invariably the pink nonsense gets set in front of me, trimmed with fruit and umbrellas and he gets the martini. My aversion to sweet drinks is only made stronger by these actions. That said, as promised I continued to embark on my Skinnygirl bottled cocktail voyage.
I have to say I will go back on what I said in my Skinnygirl Margarita post … the White Cranberry Cosmo is the smoothest Skinnygirl product going down (so far). Totally OK to drink without too much doctoring or really any at all and actually I started my taste test just simply pouring the chilled cocktail into a martini glass and was totally fine enjoying it as a relatively legit Cosmo! Needless to say, I am impressed – not too sweet and definitely tasty. The cocktail being good solo, however, did not stop me from trying out some new recipes.
Here are my three favorite recipes that came out of my taste test:
1. Fill a chilled martini glass with cold Skinnygirl White Cranberry Cosmo
2. Next add 1-2 tablespoons of Pom Pomegranate Juice*
3. Stir slowly and garnish with a thinly sliced lime wedge or a few seasonal berries (NOTE: I usually use blueberries or pomegranate seeds, and during the winter months: cranberries)
*I have not tried it yet, but Pom makes several flavors of juice – It might be fun to try the Blueberry Pomegranate Juice and garnish the drink with blueberries
The Fizzy Cosmo
1. Fill a chilled martini glass with two and a half shots of Skinnygirl White Cranberry Cosmo
2. Next add two and a half shots of Champagne or Prosecco (NOTE: I used Cupcake Prosecco and it complemented the Cosmo mix quite nicely)
3. Serve and Enjoy!
The Midday Cosmo Teaser
For a lighter version of the Fizzy Cosmo
1. Fill a highball glass with ice and two and a half shots of Skinnygirl White Cranberry Cosmo
2. Next add two and a half shots of soda water
3. Stir slowly and garnish with a lime wedge after squeezing the juice into the glass
The Non-Skinnygirl Recipes
Since I am already posting about the cocktail, I will share a couple of my homemade cosmo recipes.
Pomegranate Lime Cosmo
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add two shots of vodka
2. Next add a shot of Pom Pomegranate Juice and half a shot of fresh lime juice
3. Shake and pour into a chilled martini glass*
*NOTE: You can also put this mixture into a highball glass and serve as a cocktail over ice
Kate’s “Traditional” Cosmo
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add three shots of vodka
2. Next add a shot of Cranberry juice
3. Shake and pour into a chilled martini glass
4. Garnish with a lime wedge in the summer and spring and frozen cranberries or pomegranate seeds in the winter and fall
Hope all of you enjoy my post and varied Cosmo recipes! Cheers! Next be on the lookout for my National Gallery of Art Jose Andres Pop Up Restaurant Post and my Skinnygirl Piña Colada post – Definitely curios about this one given my aversion to sweet drinks!